Parent Communication/Class Dojo: This year I will be using Class Dojo to communicate with parents about what is going on in the classroom. If you already have a Class Dojo account, then I will send an email about how to connect to my class later this summer. If you are new to our program or new to Class Dojo, I will also send you the information you need in an email to help get you an account.
I will use Class Dojo to communicate with parents about what is happening in the classroom and students’ daily homework. I will also update our classroom site with photos of interesting projects and activities we are doing in the classroom. I will also use it to notify parents of important flyers that are being sent home with their child. If there are big projects with important due dates that are expected to be worked on outside of the classroom, I will also post that information for parents. In 3rd grade, it is important to build communication skills with your child about what is going on in the classroom. Please use your child and Class Dojo as a resource to learn about what is happening in class.
Homework: Homework will be assigned Monday-Thursday. The depth, subject and material assigned will be dependent upon what we are covering in class. It may focus on review or it may ask students to expand their thinking on a topic discussed in class. Students will be expected to turn in homework first thing in the morning.
I will post the daily homework assignments on Class Dojo. This is a great way for parents to stay informed about assignments. If a student does not turn in homework, their parent/guardian will be notified by email. This allows the teacher, student and parent to be up to date about homework progress.
Your child’s actual homework assignment can be found in either their Braddock Drive Elementary folder, or on Google Classroom, depending on what the assignment is. I will be sure to inform you daily of where your child’s assignment should be, via Class Dojo. If your child does not consistently turn in their homework, I will communicate that through email.
Google Classroom: Student homework assignments and distance learning assignments will be accessed on Google Classroom. Students will be trained by me and learn how to navigate Google Classroom. They will also know how to find their assignments, turn in their assignments and will learn other features of Google Classroom. This will be one of the first activities we do in our 3rd grade class. I will also create a video resource library that includes “how to” videos about Google Classroom. Students can access the videos at any time if they need a reminder of how to navigate Google Classroom. This video resource will also be shared with parents.
Incentives: Students will earn group points and will have the opportunity to earn incentives throughout the week. The incentives will be special privileges agreed upon by the class in the beginning of the year. We will also use a raffle system that rewards individual behavior and improvement. Students will get to earn raffle tickets for a chance to win prizes multiple times a week.
Consequences: Here are the steps that will be implemented in the class if a student is unable to comply with the classroom rules:
- Recess/Lunch mini student/teacher conference (to discuss positive behavior steps to replace the undesired behavior). Parent will be notified.
- Parent/Teacher/Student conference: the purpose of the conference will be to collaborate and come up with ideas to support the student and establish a positive behavior support plan.
Attendance: Please have students to school on time every day. Time in the classroom and daily routine will be key to your child’s success. Of course, if there is a health issue, family emergency etc., arrangements will be made to make up work or material missed in class.
Parent Volunteers: Parents will have the opportunity to volunteer in one of the following ways:
- Winter Holiday Art Project: come in and lead the class in a holiday themed art project that will be displayed in the auditorium during the Winter Show.
- Multicultural Project for Multicultural Day: submit ideas for a multicultural art project for our class to present,get supplies (funds will be provided), come in and demonstrate the project
- Decorating and Publicity for the Spring Magnet Music Recital: Decorate the auditorium for the recital, create a flyer and publicity for the event
- Showcase Your Talent/Profession: Come in and talk to our class about a special talent you have or your profession.I can accommodate most parent schedules.
- Field Trip Chaperones: chaperone one of the 3rd grade field trips
- Testing Breakfast Coordinator: Parents can sign up to bring breakfast on the mornings we will be testing. The students love this and it really boosts morale! More details to come, as testing approaches in the spring.
If you are interested in volunteering for any of these positions/projects please fill out the google form, so that I can contact you for more information:
Birthday Policy: As a class, if it is someone’s birthday we will celebrate by singing to the student and having them bring in a special item to share that is important to them.
Parent Participation: Every year we have so many parents who want to help in any way they can. The best way to help the teachers, students and classrooms of our school is to donate resources or time to Friends of Braddock (FOB), our parent group. They work together to provide our school and teachers with all of the resources we need to keep improving our already wonderful Magnet Program.
I look forward to a great year of collaboration and learning. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email me at [email protected]
3rd Grade Teacher